Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
is the first book of its kind, presenting a comprehensive guide to all eight limbs of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. Join author Gregor Maehle, a seasoned yogi and compassionate teacher, as he guides you through:
• the history and lineage of yoga
• the fundamentals of breath, bandhas (energy locks within the body), drishti (the focal point of the gaze), and vinyasa (sequential movement)
• a detailed breakdown of the asanas of the Ashtanga Primary Series, following the traditional vinyasa count
• a lively and authentic rendering of the complete Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, yoga's ancient sacred text
• a glossary of yoga terminology
In the asana
section, Maehle describes each posture with clear, meticulous instructions, photographs, anatomical illustrations, and practical tips. Information on the mythological background and yogic context of specific postures brings further insight to the practice. In the philosophy section, Maehle illuminates the Yoga Sutra
using the major ancient commentaries as well as his own insights.
This volume makes the entire path of Ashtanga Yoga accessible to modern practitioners. Both practical guide and spiritual treatise, Ashtanga Yoga
is an excellent introduction to the eight limbs of yoga and an invaluable resource for any yoga teacher or practitioner.